Wednesday 5 March 2014

How to: Hairstyle | Fish tail braid

Trying to do this fish tail plait was something I always really struggled with. I remember I could never ever do it and I always put this down to having shoulder length hair, so I stopped trying. However after seeing a friend manage to do it with even shorter hair than me I decided to give it another whirl with my now longer hair. I thought that I'd share the tip and tricks with you guys!

Here we go: 

The first step you need to take is to brush through your hair so that there is no knots or tangles. This step is really important otherwise it will make it difficult to get the braid looking even on both sides.


Next you have to choose which side you want your fish tail braid to be on. Just move all of your hair over to that one side.


Now that you've done that you need to section your hair into two equal pieces across the middle. Make sure that you hold these pieces tight at all times, otherwise it will go all loose and limp!


 Once you've done that, you need to take a small piece of hair from the outside edge of the left chunk of hair, and move it to the inside edge of the right piece. Then take a small piece from the outside edge of the right chunk of hair, and move it to the inside edge  of the left piece of hair. Make sure you only have two sections of hair and not three like a regular braid. It is so important that after moving the hair from one side to the other that you make sure that you are pulling the hair and keeping it tight because otherwise it will loosen up and not work.


Now you just continue doing this over and over and over again until you reach the bottom. I find that if you don't think about it too much and don't stare at the stands of hair, its actually easier! 


                     

When I was looking at it I got too confused with the little strands of hair that were already crossed over. Also, if you have started your fish tail braid but feel like it isn't working - just keep going, sometimes it takes a while for it to get started and take shape. 


Once you reach the end just pop a hair band of your choice in and it is done!


Finish the look by styling your hair however you wish and you are good to go! A cute twist on a braid! Super easy to do once you have the hang of it and it looks great every time!




2 comments:

Looks great! It takes me a good 15 minutes to start a fishtail plait it's just so fiddly!

If you wet your hair slightly before starting the braid it makes it easier to manage your hair while doing it :)

xoxo

Share

Twitter